Solo Versatility Comp
This year we’re bringing back your chance to show your stuff on your own in our solo versatility competition… and this year’s we are focusing on how well you can adapt to different blues styles.
- Sign up at the registration desk closes at 3.40pm on Friday, places are limited to 30
- Prelims take place straight after class on Friday (5:15pm) in The Leith Community Centre. Please arrive at 5pm to get your number.
- Dancers will solo dance all skate (no spotlights) to 3 portions of songs in differing blues styles.
Finals – Friday
- The final will take place in the first band break, scheduled for 10:45pm (Friday Night). Meet Leigh in the kitchen at 10:15pm to get your numbers and run through the format.
- Competitors will dance in an All Skate to start with.
- Finalists will be then put into groups of 2 or 3 so you can shine in a spotlight to a randomly selected song from our hat of songs.
- We’ll finish with another all skate for one more chance to show your stuff.
- Judges will rank finalists and the top three will win a prize.
- Winners will be announced around midnight the same night.
Want to know what the judges are looking for?
This year we are focusing on versatility; the judges will be looking at how you apply these techniques to the different blues music styles we throw at you:
- Movement Quality – Are you executing your movements with control and technique?
- Musicality – Are you using the music to inspire your dancing?
- Blues Aesthetic – Are you bringing some of that wonderful blues dance aesthetic? Can we tell you are dancing to blues music?
- Creativity – What unique and interesting things can you bring to your dancing?
- Individuality – Are you bringing your own voice to the dance?
- Performance Quality – Are you bringing the audience along with you?
NOTE: You’re welcome to interact with/play off each other in the shared spotlights.
We have a collection of judges because each judge will give a different weight to different aspects of your dancing. We give our judges the freedom to rank contestants based on their individual opinion. Combining these scores will determine final placings (using a relative placement scoring system).