Mix n’ Match Competition
The competition will follow a traditional mix n’ match format. You sign up individually in either lead or a follow role and will be partnered up with a new randomly selected partner for each song during the competition.
- Sign up at the registration desk closes at 3.40pm on Friday, places are limited to 24 Follows and 24 Leads
- Prelims will be held on Friday straight after the Solo Prelims (approx 5:50pm) in The Leith Community Centre. Please arrive at 5pm to get a number and cheer on the Solo dancers.
- You will get a chance to dance to 3 portions of songs (of differing blues styles) with 3 different partners.
- Competitors will dance as an all skate (at the same time, no spotlights).
- Competitors will be judged individually.
- Judges will select a small number of follows and a number of leads to make up a final.
- Finals will take place during the 1st band break on Saturday night (around 11pm)
- Finalists will meet Leigh before the band’s first set (around 9:45pm) to run through the format and collect your numbers.
- Finalists will dance at least 3 songs (or portions of songs) with a randomly selected partner for each dance.
- The format will be 2x All Skate, then spotlights to the live band.
- Competitors will be judged individually all the way through the comp.
- A gatekeeper will help couples know when to enter/exit for spotlights.
- Judges will rank Follows and Leads and the top three of each role will win a prize.
- Winners will be announced around midnight the same night.
Want to know what the judges are looking for? We have a collection of judges because each will give a different weight to different aspects of your dancing. We give our judges the freedom to rank contestants based on their individual opinion. Combining these scores will determine final placings (using a relative placement scoring system).
In saying that, here are some ideas for things our judges may take into consideration:
- Movement Quality – Are you executing your movements with control and technique?
- Musicality – Are you using the music to inspire your dancing?
- Blues Aesthetic – Are you bringing some of that wonderful blues dance aesthetic? Can we tell you are dancing to blues music?
- Creativity – What unique and interesting things can you bring to your dancing?
- Individuality – Are you bringing your own voice to the dance?
- Performance Quality – Are you bringing the audience along with you?
.. and if you manage to include all of that you are one blues dancing genius!!